James Barnett b 1766 SC d. 1814 SC
Following is the lineage of Kit Number 10912 from the oldest proven ancestor. Due to concerns for identity theft living persons are not included or are so noted by initials and obscured dates of birth and death, etc
Group Barnett 2 Y Haplogroup J2
Contact: S Bowers firstname.lastname@example.org
1. JAMES1 BARNETT was born Abt. 1766 in Cross Keys, Union County, SC, and died Abt. 1814 in SC?. He married ISABELLA JOHNSTON in SC?. She was born in Newberry District, SC, and died in Alabama
NOTE:According to the book From Then Until Now, self-published in Montgomery, AL by Pauline Smith Crenshaw ( a descendant of James Barnett through his son Asa), pg. 98:
“James Barnett, born in Pendleton District, South Carolina, at a place called Cross Keys, in 1766. The date of his birth is not certain, but he died in 1813, and was said to be forty-seven years old.
“He was of Scotch descent. He married Isabella Johnston, who was reared in Newberry District, South Carolina. After the death of her husband she moved to Tallapoosa County, Alabama, in 1818. She died at the age of fifty-nine. She was of Irish descent.
“Asa Barnett, their son, married Elizabeth Williams, and they were the parents of Martha Elizabeth Barnett, who married John William Alexander Jackson.
“(From note book which belonged to Grandpapa Jackson, now in possession of Aunt Belle Teague.)”
This is the only place I have found any info about James and Isabella Barnett, other than the few official documents found concerning him. No official documents contain his birth or death dates, or any info about his parents, siblings, etc. I have no idea where Mrs. Crenshaw got her info, except from the notebook she lists as a source. The book does not have a publishing date, but had a library stamp of June 15, 1989, which I assume is when it was acquired.
Cross Keys is a small town currently located in the southwest corner of Union Co., SC.
Children of JAMES BARNETT and ISABELLA JOHNSTON are:
i. WILEY2 BARNETT, b. Abt. 1788.
2. ii. REBECCA BARNETT, b. Abt. 1795, South Carolina; d. Alabama. Married Silas Pitts before 1810 in South Carolina. He was born about 1786 in South Carolina and died 1859 in Shelby County, AL. Rebecca was first wife and they probably had nine children. By his second wife, Nancy he had two children.
3. iii. MARY J ANE BARNETT, b. Abt. 1796, SC; d. March 1870, Burnet County, Texas. She married EZEKIEL HAIRSTON November 19, 1819 in Montgomery County, Alabama, MT, son of JOHN HAIRSTON and ANN ROBERTSON. He was born 1794 in Abbeville, SC, and died March 03, 1870 in Burnet County, Texas. They had seven children.
4. iv. TILLMAN BARNETT, b. December 25, 1797, SC; d. Bet. 1860 – 1870, Pike County, AL. He married SARAH SHIELDS May 28, 1817 in Montgomery Co., AL, Mississippi Territory, daughter of ISAAC SHIELDS. She was born October 07, 1803 in GA, and died in Alabama.
5. v. ASA B ARNETT, b. October 05, 1805, SC; d. 1866, Briar Hill, Pike Co., Alabama. He married (1) GRACEY URQUHART January 31, 1827 in Montgomery Co., AL. He married (2) ELIZABETH LOUISA W ILLIAMS Abt. 1830. She was born Abt. 1814 in SC. He had 10 children.
6. vi. LANDAY BARNETT, b. Abt. 1809, South Carolina; d. Bet. 1856 – 1860, Alabama. See below.
6. LANDAY 2 BARNETT (JAMES 1) was born Abt. 1809 in South Carolina, and died Bet. 1856 – 1860 in Alabama. He married (1) (CREEK INDIAN)? Abt. 1830. She died Bef. 1850. He married (2) J OSEPHINE HIGHTOWER May 30, 1849 in San Augustine County, Texas, daughter of SARAH HIGHTOWER. She was born February 1835 in Arkansas She was daughter of Sarah Hightower Beaman and step-daughter of Miles Beaman. He married (3) CELIA WATERS August 07, 1850 in Pike County, AL, daughter of JAMES W ATERS and SUSANAH. She was born Abt. 1813 in North Carolina, and died in Alabama.
Married Josephine in May 1849. Was back in Alabama by June, 1850, when he signed document to stop Miles Beaman from receiving his portion of the estate of Abraham Beaman, his father. Landay was owed money by Miles Beaman. Never returned to Texas, never saw son Asa Hilliard. Married Celia Waters Williams in 1850 and continued to live in Alabama.
Children of LANDAY BARNETT and (CREEK INDIAN)? are:
26. i. (DOCTOR) JOHN PASKEL3 BARNETT, b. October 13, 1830, Alabama; d. September 04, 1894, San Jacinto County, Texas.He was doctor.
27. ii. WARREN HILLIARD BARNETT, SR., b. September 11, 1832, Alabama; d. March 12, 1920, Etoile, Nacogdoches County, Texas.
iii. THOMAS BARNETT, b. Abt. 1834; m. NANCY TUBBS, April 25, 1855, Nacogdoches County, Texas.
iv. WILLIAM BARNETT, b. Abt. 1836; m. MALISSA C. RABB, March 07, 1850, Nacogdoches County, Texas.
v. HAVEN B ARNETT, b. Abt. 1837.
vi. JAMES BARNETT, b. Abt. 1839, Alabama.
8. vii. BRANTLEY G. BARNETT, b. Abt. 1842, Alabama.
viii.MARY BARNETT, b. Abt. 1844.
ix. SALINA BARNETT, b. Abt. 1845.
Child of LANDAY BARNETT and JOSEPHINE HIGHTOWER is:
29. x. ASA HILLIARD3 BARNETT, b. September 13, 1850, San Augustine County, Texas; d. December 10, 1927, Etoile, Nacogdoches County, Texas.
Children of LANDAY BARNETT and CELIA WATERS are:
xi. MARVIN B.3 BARNETT, b. Abt. 1851.
30. xii. WILBURN JOHNSTON BARNETT, b. Abt. 1854, Alabama; d. Abt. 1906, south of Andalusia, Covington County, AL.
xiii. ALFRED DORSEY BARNETT, b. Abt. 1856, Alabama. Notes for ALFRED DORSEY BARNETT:
Said to have been riding train to Texas, with brother Marvin. Supposedly fell from the train and was killed, somewhere in Mississippi. The people of the town supposedly buried him and put up a headstone.
30. WILBURN JOHNSTON3 BARNETT (LANDAY2, JAMES1) was born Abt. 1854 in Alabama, and died Abt. 1906 in south of Andalusia, Covington County, AL. He married MARY ELIZABETH DAVIS Abt. 1875 in Alabama, daughter of HELTON DAVIS and RHODA SKIPPER. She was born July 11, 1859 in Alabama, and died June 05, 1904 in Valley Grove, of complications from having measles, Covington County, AL. She is buried Valley Grove Primitive Bapt. Church Cemetery, Hwy. 331, Covington County, AL.
He died while making a freight delivery by wagon to a small store south of Andalusia, AL, on Hwy. 31. Had a team of young mules, very skittish. A piece of paper blew across the street and into their faces and they ran away. He tried to stop them but they tore up the wagon and dragged him through a pile of lumber. He died later that day.
Marriage Notes for WILBURN BARNETT and MARY DAVIS:Were not living together when Mary Elizabeth died, about 1904. According to oral history, separation caused by argument over whether Sarah Elizabeth (Sallie) should help with washing or go to work in the fields
Children of WILBURN BARNETT and MARY DAVIS are:
59. i. JOHN LANDY4 BARNETT, b. June 08, 1877; d. June 08, 1947.
60. ii. WILLIAM B URTON BARNETT, b. Abt. 1880.
61. iii. ABAR SOLETA BARNETT, b. November 08, 1883; d. August 25, 1969.
62. iv. SARAH E LIZABETH BARNETT, b. December 05, 1884; d. September 09, 1970.
63. v. HELTON EMMANUEL CLASSETY BARNETT, b. March 02, 1888; d. January 22, 1961, Brewton, Escambia County, AL.
64. vi. LEANNA M ELISSA BARNETT, b. April 02, 1890, Pike?, Dallas?, Crenshaw? County; d. November 25, 1965, Saraland, AL.
65. vii. JAMES WALTER BARNETT, b. March 14, 1891; d. June 12, 1919.
66. viii.ALFRED D ORSEY BARNETT, b. December 24, 1894, Rutledge, Crenshaw County, AL; d. July 12, 1983, Opp, Covington County, AL.
67. ix. CLYDIE MAE BARNETT, b. Abt. 189+.
68. x. THOMAS HILLIARD BARNETT, b. Abt. 189+.
69. xi. HOSEA LOWE DANIEL BARNETT, b. Abt. 190+.
66. ALFRED DORSEY4 BARNETT (WILBURN JOHNSTON3, LANDAY2, JAMES1) was born December 24, 189+ in Rutledge, Crenshaw County, AL, and died July 12, 198+ in Opp, Covington County, AL. He married JEWELL ESTHER BANE March 07, 192+ in Covington County, AL, daughter of JOHN BANE and CELIA CAULEY. She was born January 10, 190+ in Dannelly’s Crossroads, Coffee Co., AL, and died October 16, 196+ in Andalusia, Covington County, AL. They were married by Rev. R. J. Hattaway at his home. He was standing on front porch, they were seated in buggy by front porch during ceremony.
Children of ALFRED BARNETT and JEWELL BANE are:
84. i. FLOYCE ECLIPSE5 BARNETT, b. 192+, Covington County, AL.
85. ii. AARON DORSEY BARNETT, b. 192+, Covington County, AL.
86. iii. FOYE GLADYS BARNETT, b. 192+, Covington County, AL.
87. iv. TINY ESTHER BARNETT, b. 193+, Covington County, AL.
88. v. MANFORD DAVIS BARNETT, b. 193+, Covington County, AL.
89. vi. MILAN ALFRED BARNETT, b. 194+, Covington County, AL.